Looking for a quick breakfast? This egg recipe is very easy to make and so satisfying to eat. It makes a great breakfast, brunch, or lunch. We made it for the first during Ramadan, and it was perfect for Suhur time when we don’t want to stir-up a mess in the kitchen at 3:30 am!
The recipe is high in protein. With 12 eggs and 1.5 cups beans, it makes 6 satisfying servings. As a garnish on the side, consider serving it with salsa or guacamole. The whole dish contains 3 cups of broccoli and cauliflower. That’s half a cup of vegetables per serving.
And if you’re still worried about eggs and cholesterol, stop! Research debunked that myth about eggs. Read my post here for details.
If you can’t tolerate beans, you can swap them with 1.5 cups shredded raw sweet potato or white potato.
Learn how to identify the REAL causes of your gut problems.
Black Bean Egg Bake (Frittata)
This recipe is very similar to a frittata recipe I have posted before here. This time around, I wanted to reduce my active ‘engaged’ cooking time. Baking makes perfect sense. Just make sure you grease the baking dish well so they don’t stick to the bottom of the dish.
This recipe is part of my new upcoming book that is focused on detox and is gluten and dairy-free. Broccoli and cauliflower are super detoxification foods! There are reasons to try a dairy-free diet and I talk about them here. If you’re ok with dairy and like cheese, you can shred some aged cheddar or Mozzarella and add to the egg mix.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil plus extra for coating the baking dish
- 12 eggs
- 1 ½ cups black beans, (about 1 BPA-free can), rinsed and drained
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 cup cauliflower, cut into small florets
- ½ c cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Coat a 9×13 baking dish with avocado oil. Pre-heat the oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs thoroughly. Combine 1 tablespoon of oil, beans, broccoli, cauliflower, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Pour into the baking dish. Cook in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the eggs are golden from top and no longer liquid. You can insert a toothpick to check. Let it cool for 5-10 minutes. Cut into 6 servings.
Low FODMAPs Recipe Modification
Swap black beans with 1.5 cups shredded raw sweet potato or white potato. Instead of broccoli and cauliflower, add 3 cups of low FODMAPs vegetables like spinach, bell pepper, zucchini, and yellow squash. According to the Monash University low FODMAPs guide, 1/2 cup broccoli per serving is low in FODMAPs and should be safe. In other words, you can keep some broccoli to get the benefit of detox-boosting nutrients.