I like to make smoothies. They’re more refreshing than coffee, a great quick breakfast or snack, and an easy way to eat vegetable, fruit, and antioxidant intake. They can also help detox the body and improve digestion and elimination.
A common mistake people do when they make smoothies is loading on carbohydrates. Remember that fruits, while healthy and naturally sweet, still get broken down into sugar. Too much fruit, without being balanced with protein and fats, can raise your blood sugar very quickly.
To prevent a sugar spike, which will eventually lead to getting hungry soon after drinking your smoothie, I use fruits with lower in glycemic index like berries, peaches, apples, and oranges. I try to avoid using juices and typically stick to water or coconut water. To balance the smoothie and increase satiety, I always add a protein (yogurt, almond butter, protein powder) and a fat (avocado, almond butter, fish oil, flaxseed oil, or coconut oil).
I used unflavored green pea protein this time. I like this one by Now because it’s made of non-GMO green peas and contains no other ingredients. You can read more about other proteins I use and recommend: whey protein and beef gelatin protein.
Having a fat source isn’t just for satiety. It will help you absorb antioxidants because most of them are soluble in fats. In other words, they need to dissolve in fat to be absorbed. Fats also make a smoother smoothie. For the fat source I used this omega-3-6-9 fish oil.
Learn how to identify the REAL causes of your gut problems.
Because there are so many variations to make a healthy balanced smoothie, I’m working on a handout to help you pick and choose your favorites. Be on the look for it soon!
- 1 cup packed baby spinach
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peaches
- 1 scoop protein powder (I used green pea protein powder)
- 1 teaspoon omega-3 fish oil
- 1/2 inch cube fresh ginger root
- Place spinach and water in your blender. Blend for 1-2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Drink immediately. If you have extra leftover, pour into the smallest glass jar with a lid it can fit in and store in the fridge. Drink by the next day.